A long time ago Google had an option to keep you in touch with your important e-mails using SMS notifications.
Yesterday, I had to drive to the wild area, where I wasn’t sure about 3G coverage, and tried to setup this SMS notification, but “Now, this feature has been retired“.
Fortunately, there is another option to make it. And, BTW, it will work for any e-mail provider, who gives you an option to forward incoming e-mails automatically to another address.
We’re going to use SMS Gateway feature.
SMS Gateway is a telecommunications network facility for sending or receiving Short Message Service (SMS) transmissions to or from a telecommunications network that supports SMS. Most messages are eventually routed into the mobile phone networks. Many SMS gateways support media conversion from email and other formats.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It gives us the basis of the e-mail -> sms notification. And we need to create a filter to notify us about certain e-mails only.
1. Go to the Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP
Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP
2. We can start both ways: to add your SMS Gateway e-mail or to create a filter.
Create filter with your criteria.
In this example I create a filter to send me SMS about any e-mail with “Test SMS Gateway E-mail” in Subject line.
3. When filter is created, we need to add the forwarding address, which is your_phone_number@your_cellular_provider_sms_gateway
You can check, if your cellular provider has an SMS Gateway here >>
For example, I use US Cellular, and their Gateway for SMS is “email@example.com”, and for MMS is “firstname.lastname@example.org”.
Add your SMS-gateway to send notifications.
4. As I said, your forwarding e-mail address has to be like your_phone@your_SMS_Gateway.
Add your phone_number@SMS_Gateway_e-mail
5. Google wants to verify the new e-mail, you added to the account.
They need verification.
Good point. And you also check, if you typed your SMS gateway correctly.
6. After you receive the SMS from email@example.com, type the verification code here.
Type verification code.
7. Finally, you’ll have the e-mail filter with the SMS gateway as forwarding address, which sends the notifications SMS to your phone.